After a storm passes, it’s crucial to assess and address any damage to your Miami roof. This guide outlines how to spot roofing damage post-storm and the measures you should consider taking. For a handy reference, be sure to download our comprehensive checklist on roof damage after a storm.
Types Of Roof Storm Damage
- Wind Damage: Strong winds, particularly those exceeding 74 mph, can cause significant harm to your roof by dislodging or ripping away shingles, which exposes the underlying protective layers to the elements. Even moderate storms can cause shingles to lift and curl, compromising their waterproof seal and leaving your roof susceptible to further damage.
- Water Issues: Proper drainage is essential; without it, pools of water can accumulate on the roof, particularly after heavy rains, leading to potential damage. Also, ensure that gutters are clear to prevent water from seeping under the shingles.
- Debris Damage: Post-storm, your roof may be littered with debris ranging from small twigs to large branches. Heavy debris can compromise the integrity of shingles, making them vulnerable to moisture.
Schedule A Roof Inspection
Contact a trusted, professional roofing contractor to schedule an inspection and help you with damage assessment. Many contractors offer inspections and will know how to safely look for roof damage.
- Self-Assessment: Inspect your roof from the ground or through windows, documenting any visible damage or irregularities in the shingles, gutters, or roofing accessories.
- Interior Inspection: Check your attic and interior ceilings for leaks or water stains, as they may indicate damage not visible from the outside.
- Roof: Visually assess your roof by walking around the perimeter of your house and taking note of any visible storm damage.
Selecting a Roofing Contractor
It’s important to work with a contractor you can trust. Roofers and repair companies are likely to be busy after a large regional storm and may try to compete for your business by offering discounts or deals. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Call Your Insurance Provider
If you find significant damage to your Miami home after a storm, promptly contact your homeowners’ insurance provider so you can properly file a claim based on their requirements.
After a storm, it is imperative to promptly and safely assess the condition of your Miami roof to prevent further damage. Starting with a professional inspection, followed by a personal examination of the roof and other elements of your home, you can identify any immediate repairs needed.
Taking these steps will not only help to protect your home against the elements but also provide peace of mind.
With our extensive experience and expertise, we can assess the condition of your Miami roof, provide honest answers and recommendations, and help you make an informed choice about a roof replacement or roof repairs. Contact us today.