There are many perks of owning a home, but maintaining the gutters is not high on the list for many people. However small as your gutters may seem with respect to the entire house, it is an important design feature that serves an important function.
Regardless of what type of gutters your home has, maintenance is essential. All homeowners should ensure their gutters are functioning correctly. Today, Istueta Roofing in Miami, FL, is sharing four problems that can come from clogged gutters and how to avoid them.
View this post on Instagram
Clogged Gutters: Avoid These 4 Dangers
Clogged gutters can cause serious damage to you and your home. Here are 5 of them:
1. Roof damage: If water accumulates in your gutters, the sides of your roof covering and the underlying materials (mostly the wood sheeting) can get damaged by the continuous contact with water. This results in the wood and surface material decaying due to rotting. Eventually, the surface and the wood beneath will need to be replaced.
If your gutters aren’t working properly, your roof won’t either. Clogged gutters can lead to:
- deteriorating the roofing system
- rotting roof deck
- wet insulation
- water in your home
- damage to ceilings and walls
2. You are at risk of basement flooding and structural damage: Clogged gutters can cause excess water to overflow and collect around the foundations of your home. If left unchecked, this excess water can cause cracks in the foundation and easily seep into your basement or even the lower floor and flood it. When your home’s foundation is damaged, it can lead to structural damage to your home.
3. Fascia Damage: The fascia boards support the gutter system. These boards are often made of wood. When the gutters are blocked and overflowing with water, it can cause the wood to rot and deteriorate, leading to mold and mildew issues.
4. Pests Infestation: Clogged gutters are the perfect environment for mosquitoes and other insects to thrive in. Rotting wood, which can be caused by clogged gutters, is irresistible to insects, including termites and carpenter ants who live in and make a meal of wet, wooden environments.
Now that you know some of the dangers of clogged gutters, here are some tips to help you take care of your gutters, so they can do their job in protecting your home.
Regularly Clean Out Your Gutters
Effectively cleaning your gutters means getting on a ladder and using a gutter trowel to scoop the leaves and debris out of the gutters. Once all the debris is out, use a hose to flush the gutters and test the water flow.
Roofing experts in Miami, FL, suggest clearing out your gutters at least twice a year, preferably in the spring and fall. If you live in an area with many trees, you may need to have your gutter cleaned more often.
Install a gutter cover
Gutter covers can help keep large debris from clogging up your gutters. A gutter helmet typically snaps onto the top front of the gutter and drains through a cutout. A gutter cover is flat and rests on top of the gutter, acting like a drain.
Hire a professional
If the idea of climbing onto the top of your house along with supplies to inspect and de-clog your gutters causes you anxiety, don’t worry. Roofing companies in Miami, FL, can perform this type of maintenance for you. Find a reputable company in your area that can perform this service for you.
So now you know what you can do to maintain your gutters properly and what can happen if you don’t! If it’s been some time since you’ve had the gutters on your home examined or replaced, contact Istueta Roofing today to schedule a professional consultation by calling us at (305) 671-9190. You can also schedule online here.