With decades of invaluable experience, Istueta Roofing has been empowering homeowners to make informed decisions when choosing a new roof that fits their residence or business. We understand how immensely important it is to be an educated consumer, especially when purchasing something as significant as a new roofing structure. In this article, learn about the most popular type of metal roofing among Florida homeowners.
What Is Galvalume Roofing?
Galvalume roofing is a type of lightweight steel roofing with an aluminum, zinc, and silicon coating. The process of galvanizing steel—coating it in molten zinc—has been around since 1836 and was commonly used to enhance the properties of the steel and provide better durability. This quickly became a common material for siding and roofing because of its high durability and low maintenance requirements.
Galvalume was invented in the late 20th century by Bethlehem Steel. Rather than using pure zinc, they used a mixture of 55% aluminum, 43.4% zinc, and 1.6% silicone, which gave the steel added rust resistance compared to the pure zinc coating. Today, galvalume roofing is one of the most popular types of metal roofing for both commercial and residential applications.
The Many Benefits of Galvalume Roofing
If you’re exploring metal roofing because you want something that will complement your home’s aesthetic, withstand just about any weather, and last a lifetime, then it’s a good idea to consider galvalume roofing. This type of roofing has become especially popular throughout Florida because it offers many benefits, such as:
- A long lifespan – With proper care, it lasts some 50+ years
- Versatility – Galvalume roofing is available in many colors and styles and can be customized to suit various types of buildings
- Superior weather protection – Galvalume can stand up to extreme weather, such as temperature fluctuations, high winds, harsh precipitation, and more. Plus, the added resistance to corrosion makes it especially well-suited to humid climates.
- Energy efficiency – This material reflects light, minimizing heat absorption and potentially reducing a household’s heating and cooling costs
- A lower carbon footprint – Metal roofing can be recycled, making it one of the more sustainable and environmentally friendly building materials
Galvalume roofing is also one of the more reasonably priced metal roofing options. In many cases, it is even cheaper than galvanized roofing, since galvanized roofing is no longer as popular and therefore harder to find. Considering how galvalume roofing outperforms galvanized roofing, this perk helps make the decision easy.
Superior Galvalume Roofing for Florida Homeowners
If you’re looking for a unique kind of roof that will afford your Florida home superior protection against the wrath of Mother Nature, you can’t go wrong with galvalume roofing from Istueta Roofing. With South Florida’s most trusted roofer on your side, you can look forward to a flawless installation performed by highly trained technicians using top-of-the-line products. To learn more about the benefits of galvalume roofing or about the installation process, schedule a professional consultation with our team today.