The fascia and soffit provide aesthetic and functional value to your home, but they are also disposed to several issues that could require professional repair or replacement. Today, Istueta Roofing in Miami, FL, is sharing what you need to know about these essential components of your roofing system.
A roof is complex, with various components that work together to provide protection, improve the overall aesthetics of your home, and increase ventilation.
Two roofing components that are often misunderstood are the fascia and the soffit. And while both are vital components of your home, they can add to some common roofing issues that may need professional repair.
View this post on Instagram
What Is the Fascia?
The fascia is an upright finishing edge where the gutter attaches to the roof, though it can also be found connected to the trusses or rafters. Its primary role is to be a layer between the outdoors and your roof’s edge, and it’s designed to protect the board from water damage.
The fascia also plays an important aesthetic role in your roof by creating a more even, smoother appearance for the roof’s edge.
What Is the Soffit?
While the soffit can refer to the horizontal base of a staircase, ceiling, or archway, it typically refers to the exposed exterior beneath the hanging section of a roof’s eave.
Part of the soffit’s purpose is to ventilate the attic. It is usually a plain design with small holes to offer air circulation. The air from the soffit draws moisture and heat away from the house. This is essential because when moisture enters the attic, rot can develop in the rafters and sheathing.
Following are just a few signs that it’s time to replace your fascia and soffits:
- Flaking Paint and Cracks: Because cracks look bad and can lead to leaks, it is best to hire a professional to remove the damaged pieces and create a new system.
- Evidence of Pests: Soffits and fascia are designed to keep unwelcome pests out of your attic and roof. So if you find that they are still entering your home, it could indicate an issue with your system.
- Signs of Asbestos: Since asbestos is dangerous to your well-being and health, you should call a team of experts at the first sign of a problem. Specialists can help identify any issues and deal with them effectively and safely.
- Water in Roof Void: Water damage to your roof can lead to rot, mold, or both, causing costly repairs before your home is safe for you and your family. It’s best to check your soffits and fascia regularly to see if they are letting water leak into your roof void.
- Insufficient Ventilation: If you notice little to no ventilation in your home, it could signify that your fascia and soffits are damaged or blocked. You may need to consider having them replaced immediately.
If you have noticed any of these signs, don’t hesitate to contact Istueta Roofing in Miami, FL. We can inspect your soffits and fascia and determine the most effective solution for your home and bank account.
Contact Istueta Roofing today to schedule a professional roof consultation by calling us at (305) 671-9190. You can also schedule online here. For some examples of our work, view our online portfolio.